Saturday, October 24, 2015

Oblate Vows

Today I made my noviciate vows to become a Benedictine Oblate.  This means that going forward, I'm to incorporate the values of ora et labora (prayer and work) into my daily life.  Lectio divina, or spiritual readings, is also part of my commitment to living the Christian life according to the Benedictine tradition.

This new commitment goes very well together with my previous gospel commitments of balance, change (continuous conversion), moderation, simplicity, and stability (commitment).  See this post for previous thoughts I had about becoming an Oblate

Looking back at the influence the Benedictines have had on me, it goes back quite a bit back.  Here's a post from almost 10 years ago that I wrote while working on an assignment at Regent.  It wasn't the beginning of my journey - that came probably 20 years ago when I visited Westminster Abbey in Mission for Easter Sunrise services - but still, it does give insight into the Benedictine way of life.

2015's turning out to be quite a significant year: joining the Catholic Church in April, and now becoming an Oblate.  God's name be praised, always!



No comments: