Saturday, September 13, 2014

House Blessing

This evening I had some friends over at my place for a house blessing.  It was a special event for a few reasons: one, it was the first time I hosted people at my place since moving here from BC (that's one and a half years ago!); and two, having my home blessed was very meaningful from a theological perspective.

I asked my mentor Francis to do the honour of blessing my home.  He began by blessing the crucifix which I then proceeded to hang at the front entrance.  Then we blessed my living spaces: the entrance, the living room, the kitchen, the bedroom(s), and bathroom(s).  He'd selected various people from our group to read a small service he'd put together.  After each reading we all said Amen!, it was lovely.


After the blessing was complete, people mingled, while (Carla's) Chris and I got the bbq going in preparation for dinner.  People brought appetizers, salads, and other dishes along, so that when the steaks and sausages were all grilled and ready to go we had a complete meal.  Add the various juices, wines, and beers to the food, and it truly was a feast.

From left to right: Eric, Laura, Lisa, Christine, Francis, and Becky.


For the rest of the evening we mingled, chatted, and laughed.  I'm so blessed, because the people I've met here have wonderful senses of humour.  Deb and Eric were quite funny making up stories about my past.  And Heather - innocent Heather - led everyone in pulling a couple pranks, such as hiding my shoes in the basement, saran-wrapping my toilet(!), and turning my mattress upside down!




 From left to right: Edgar, Carla, Chris, Heather, Nicole, Deb, and Connor.


I'm feeling very blessed.  I have a wonderful job and amazing coworkers.  I bought a great house in a well established part of the city.  I am finding my way spiritually too, attending St. Mary's on the westside, and enrolling in RCIA at Holy Spirit Parish.  And finally, I seem to have found a wonderful new friend in Michelle - I hope to see a lot more of her when she returns from California.

Thank you Lord for these and all other blessings you bestow upon me in your kindness.  I pray for a grateful heart.  I pray for continued blessings upon me and all those I care for.  Amen.

No comments: