Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Little Church

Yesterday I went hiking about nearby with my hiking friends, and on the way there I came across this small little chapel, St. Columba.  I stopped my car and took some pictures, and couldn't help but wonder what the context was at the time the chapel was built in, probably about 80 years ago or so.

It's literally out "in the middle of nowhere".  There are no houses around.  The closest farm house is surely no less than 1 km away.  And that's just one house.  My guess is that there are only about 5 other houses within a 10km radius.  There is no small town nearby either.

As the pictures show, the church is surrounded by a well-kept cemetery, with, oh I'd guess about 40 grave stones.  Some of the stones had new (artificial) flowers on them.

Why was the church built here?
Who were the congregants?
Why was it closed?
Who is buried here?






No comments: