Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Prairie Job Interview. Crazy.

My good friend Tom and I have begun meeting for lunch every other week, more or less.  He used to work at St. Paul's Hospital, and since meeting him there we've struck some good conversations which we've kept going.

Almost two weeks ago, on November 28th, we were eating lunch, and I complained to him that I was having a difficult time coming to terms with my vocational direction, and specifically, that I felt helpless because of the bleak outlook for work in the near future.  One of the questions he asked me was "Are you willing to look for work beyond Vancouver?"  I said no I wasn't, at least not for the time being.

As we were having this conversation - no exaggeration - he received a text message from some guy named Francis, in Saskatoon.  Francis' message was short: "Looking for someone to work in spiritual care in Moose Jaw.  Know of anyone?"

Tom looked at me and said, I think you should go to the prairies.  As I said no thanks, Tom responded to the message: "Got someone, his name is Ed.  Here's his contact info."  

Thanks Tom...

Fast forward to today.

I had a job interview with Francis.  Yes, the one from Saskatoon.  He's looking for a Director in Moose Jaw (MJ), in south central Saskatchewan.  I began the conversation by telling him that I have no interest in moving to the prairies - not the best way to begin an interview process - but proceeded to listen to him "sell" me the job.  Crazy.

By the end of the conversation an hour later, I agreed for another interview, this time with the CEO and another person, I'm not sure who.

This is crazy.  I have no interest in moving to the prairies.

No comments: