Sunday, April 15, 2012

To Buy Or Not To Buy

About 3 weeks ago I was giving my parents an update on the things that are going on in my life, and as often is the case, we ended up about housing.  The question they often ask me is why I continue to rent an apartment, rather than looking for possibilities to invest in a townhouse or apartment.  My answer then was the same as it's been for awhile: I like living centrally in the city, and buying a place would be quite difficult under the current financial situations (unless I'm willing to move further out).

Since that conversation, I have spent lots and lots of hours in front of the laptop, looking at the real estate website to see what sort of properties are available.  My criteria for a place to live are as follows:
* 2 bed, 2 bath
* > 750 square feet
* ground floor
* bright, lots of light coming in
* southwest exposure ideal; southeast exposure possible; north exposure not at all desirable
* must have access to either a patio and/or yard/garden area
* situated <10 minutes' walk from skytrain or bus
* budget: around $330K, +/- 10%
* overal: looking for modesty and simplicity, not luxury

Based on these crieria, and the helpful suggestions of my dad, brother, my friends Jennifer and Marty, not to mention the very helpful guidance of my real estate Elmar, I have come up with a property that has great potential for suitability.  I may put in an offer within the next day or two.

Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me!

I have posted a two pictures that I took of the townhouse complex.

No comments: